Tuesday 12 July 2011

Baguette Buyer, Fashionista, Parisian

There’s nothing more boring than an amateur's account of their excursion to an art gallery or museum, so I’m going to talk about baguettes.  

Paris is the canvas on which a thousand baguettes are painted. On every corner, down every street, coming at you is a French person with a baguette. Voila! It’s like a baguette is a fashion item. In fact, you can forget the high heels (thank god) and if you want to be mistaken for a local, simply wack a baguette under your arm (and refrain from using the term ‘wack’). 


Seriously, it’s how you distinguish the locals from the tourists. Tourists have a camera in their hand. Locals have a baguette under their arm (or somewhere on their personage). 

You’ll find baguettes on the young, old and middle-aged. This foodie fashion item doesn’t discriminate. You’ll see these crunchy batons squashed in clenched fists, protruding from briefcases, stuffed in pockets, hiding in prams, lurking in shopping bags and trolleys, and extending from bicycle baskets. And if you want to erase all possible doubt that you’re a local, then master the art of navigating the metro, while talking on your mobile phone, with a baguette under your arm. If you can achieve this, without taking anyone’s eye out and without meeting with a bready disaster at the exit point, then you, my friend, are a Parisian. 

Like fashion or art in Paris, the baguette phenomenon is a naturally occurring thing and, I do believe, if you’re in Paris long enough, it will rub off on you. I say this because an interesting thing happened to me yesterday. I returned to my apartment, late afternoon to freshen up for dinner and, as I closed the door behind me, it suddenly occurred to me that I had a baguette under my arm. What’s more, I had no recollection of purchasing that baguette! Then I glanced towards the kitchen bench and noticed the remains of another baguette, most likely purchased the day before. And suddenly, just like that, here I am, a true Parisian because I have baguettes and I have no memory of how I begot! Imagine my excitement at discovering just how Parisian I’ve become!  

Just to be sure, though, I decided to retrace my steps and investigate. I took the lift to ground level, exited my building and turned left down the cobbled street that is rue Gravilliers. As suspected, it was only minutes before I stumbled across a boulangerie, stocked to the windows with pastries and pies, croissants and quiches, éclairs and tarts and (you guessed it) baguettes! Oh my! Could this be my place of purchase? Could this be the point where unconsciously, because I am Parisian, I attached myself to a baguette?  

I stood in the doorway, inhaling the yeasty fumes, and for a moment, doubted myself, as I considered the impressive but confusing array of baguettes. How would I have known which one to choose? How would I have known which would complement my outfit? How would I have known whether to go for an under-armer or a briefcase-protruder?  


But then, to my delight, Monsieur, behind the counter, recognised me! Yes, it was true! I had obviously been here before...many times! It was conclusive! I was a baguette buyer, a fashionista, a true Parisian!  

And, to seal it, Monsieur smiled a knowing smile and winked across the counter at me and I knew it was true because he knew me like I was a regular Parisian customer and he was absolutely and genuinely pleased to see me. (Or was that a baguette in his pocket?)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

where's the "like" button?

x

Tom and Lindsay's Visits said...

Baguettes the language of Paris.What is the language of Sydney the meat pie or the sausage roll? What about Melbourne is it the pie floater? How deprived we Australians are when learning of the language of Paris and its steamy, sensual baguettes. How could such a simple loaf mean so much? I suppose you have to be in Paris to understand.

Libby Hart said...

Hi Jo, hope all is well. Bianca just sent me the link of your blog. It's a great read. Keep enjoying everything! :)

Best,
Libby

http://theworldasaroom.blogspot.com/

Helene said...

Jo,
I love how you make THE MOST interesting stories out of the mundane....not that I will ever say that buying baguette's is mundane. .....ever again. The last bit in brackets made me laugh out loud just as one might do at the end of each seen of a "Getting on" episode. Love your creations Jo!

mel dyett said...

you are the best narrator Jo.....

Sexy Friend (or is that Fiend) said...

merci madmoiselle Parisian. If I could speak the language of gay Paris I would embrace and impress you with my floury finesse. But alas, I must admit, my French is crummy (although your baguette is not). Please keep wearing deodorant.